Monday, March 17, 2008

Something happened on the way to my degree...

Yep, something happened on the way to my degree:  I lost the ability to sit around and do nothing.  Maybe it's just my personality, maybe there just isn't anything good to sit around and do nothing about.  But I think it's because I'm an overworked grad student.  Sure, I can procrastinate with the best of them.  Gotta turn in a poster tomorrow?  Sure, I've got a few hours to watch mindless TV.  Need to run some simulations?  What better time to iChat!

But here I am, with nothing to do, and I can't sit still.  I feel like I need to do something.  I was just playing SuperBounceOut.  It just doesn't have the same addiction and appeal that it does when I'm playing because I'm avoiding work. 

Usually I turn to the TV for my "do nothing" time.  R never wants to watch as much TV as I do--which is good, because it keeps my TV watching in check. On the other hand, there is nothing good on TV these days.  Tivo has 155 suggestions and nothing sounds interesting.  Seinfeld?  Seen it.  Friends?  Seen it. Super Monster Truck Rally?  What the...??? It seems like my favorite shows haven't had new episodes in weeks, and Battlestar Galactica won't be new until April.

Sure, there are plenty of things that I could or should be doing.  Working?  Yes, there is part of me that thinks I should be working.  That part of me also thinks that every waking moment should be spent working on my dissertation so that I can just be done with it.  And the other part of me thinks that I put in a long day, got a lot of things accomplished, and the same will be true tomorrow (hopefully). So why not relax?  How about cleaning up my iTunes library?  No way, that would take way to long and way too much thought.  Clean up the basement?  Don't get me started.  Send out long overdue emails to friends and family?  Well, yah...Take out the trash? Yep, that's a 5 minute project.  Play games online?  Been there, done that.

Maybe I'll just blog.

No comments: